Friday, October 8, 2010

Amazing Orchids

Orchids are a big deal here in Switzerland. They are everywhere!
The colors are SO vibrant. Photos don't do justice.
Here is the story of my favorite anniversary present:

While walking during lunchtime at work sometime, Curt discovered an amazing flower/plant shop (all unknown to me). Curt knows me--he knows I love plants. I am not sure where this passion came from, but I was always planting little things in pots and egg cartons as a kid. I remember my mom letting me plant petunias and pansies in the front yard flowerbeds. I loved it!

Anyhow a few weeks later, Curt walked me to the store after lunch on our anniversary as a surprise and told me I could pick one of the orchid plants there. Oh - I was elated!!! The perfect surprise from the perfect husband. Now there were 2 things that made me hesitate:

1. We were about to go on vacation for a few weeks and I thought it would be sad to miss a large part of the blooming time of the orchid (they bloom with a schedule).

2. As it was a specialty boutique, the lady charged a large amount of money (I can't remember the exact amount, but I believe they were about $200 ? ). Mind you, they were beautiful and very, very well grown, crafted and presented...but $200 for a plant that is really easy to kill?? That's a little risky.

Solutions: 1. Buy plant after trip (check) 2. See if there is a way to get the exact thing for a little less money (check):  While I was at a home shop trying to get a shower curtain rod, I saw a vase just like the ones at the specialty boutique. Then I went next door to the hardware store to buy light equipment. Right there in the gardening section I saw that their 2 stem orchids on sell for $15 instead of $40. How could I resist? I bought both that day and was so excited to tell Curt. I got big smiles carrying them home on the bus. In total: The vase was $29, so for under $45 I have my orchid plant that would have been $200. I am so happy!!!!!! So happy I dedicated a blog posting to my little plant.
Orchids survive with exposed roots. With time, I'll remove more "dirt"
Orchids require very special care and watering--even more joy!
This was a perfect gift. I wouldn't have had the excuse to buy myself one.

New bud starting to open at top!
I look at it many times a day...I love it. Maybe too much (have you noticed?). I savor the small buds that slowly open until the flowers are in full bloom. Nature is a miracle. I am so happy to have our little orchid in our home. It doesn't have a name yet (and I am not sure if it is a he or she orchid). Any ideas?

Curt probably thinks I am crazy. A few times per week I exclaim, "Look!! Another one is starting to open! Look at it! Look at it!!" I'm such a nerd.

2 comments:

  1. I always think that they are she flowers, since they are the flower of passion... I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the orchid story! GOOD JOB CURT!! And great job saving money, of course you did! That's Allison being genius! Tim gave me an orchid for this Valentine's. It was beautiful but after six months it was gone. Do you think you can keep it alive forever?

    ReplyDelete