Written originally 8/20/09
For some reason I have been especially pensive about a few words these last weeks:
- Pattern (especially this one)
- Suffer
- Virtue
- Progress
I decided while I was reading today that it would be fun to write a series of tiny gospel books about simple words that are full of meaning (like the 4 listed above). The titles would be simple: "Progress," "Pattern," etc. Maybe this idea will never materialize, but I will continue to record my thoughts of the words and learn for myself.
_________
Here are some brief thoughts on the word "suffer." This single word has led me to think a lot about agency and also reflect on the life of Our Savior.
Suffer, to me, simply means "allow." I think "allow" whenever i see the word.'
We often focus on the premise that to suffer means to undergo pain, endure distress, etc. When we think about Jesus Christ, we often speak of Him suffering. While I do believe Jesus suffered more than I will ever comprehend, I also know He suffered it to be. He allowed the difficulties to come upon Him, for He knew that His choice would affect all mankind throughout all eternity. How grateful I am for Christ's suffering.
We suffer the consequences of our choices, be them good or bad. It is by using our agency we allow consequences to follow. What a blessing from God we can choose for ourselves. Isn't it also a wonderful blessing God suffers us to suffer? This is how we learn and grow and progress, to become as He is. He allows us to feel and experience pains for our poor choices and joy and peace for our righteous ones.
It's funny. After much study and reflection I opened up the Bible Dictionary and read under the entry for suffer: "To permit, allow. Also used in its current meaning of enduring and tolerating pain, affliction or an uncomfortable situation."
No. I didn't consider my ideas especially unique or profound--and apparently they aren't. Though the conclusions I drew were simply stated in an easy to find place, I realize that the process of pondering and studying gave me a knowledge and understanding of how I could better apply those gospel principles in my life. That's enough rambling for today. Do you have any favorite words that bring great introspection?
No. I didn't consider my ideas especially unique or profound--and apparently they aren't. Though the conclusions I drew were simply stated in an easy to find place, I realize that the process of pondering and studying gave me a knowledge and understanding of how I could better apply those gospel principles in my life. That's enough rambling for today. Do you have any favorite words that bring great introspection?
No comments:
Post a Comment