The discourse is simply called: "Patience." It was given by Elder Neal A. Maxwell at BYU on November 27, 1979 (20 years ago, October 1980 Ensign, 28).

Elder Maxwell is a mesmerizing and learned lecturer. His ability to capture common circumstances through picturesque poetry in order to teach powerful principles is astonishing. His everyday examples give unequaled understanding to abstract and difficult-to-grasp concepts. I have to admit, as well, that I love his writing style (though that isn't the most important aspect of his talks). His vocabulary is immaculate, and his diction clever and dignified. The alliteration (which I am obviously trying to copy to prove my point but miserably failing) only adds value to his perfectly crafted phrases. He teaches me so much, so well.
Now back to this talk. I honestly can't count how many times I have read it. It's not one for you to quickly read once online. It needs to be printed out and studied time after time. Maybe I love this talk for the same reason Elder Maxwell gave it. He opened by saying,
"Perhaps the topic was selfishly selected because of my clear and continuing need to develop this attribute."
Yes. that is why I like it--it gives me guidance, direction and motivation to develop the heavenly attribute I so desperately desire.
To give you a taste, I will put a couple of quotes. The first is my favorite. It was really difficult to select the best quotes, so do me (and yourself) a favor and take the time to read the text in its entirety. Enjoy!!!!
____________
"There is also a dimension of patience which links it to a special reverence for life. Patience is a willingness, in a sense, to watch the unfolding purposes of God with a sense of wonder and awe—rather than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance."
____________
"Patience is not only a companion of faith but is also a friend to free agency. Inside our impatience there is sometimes an ugly reality: We are plainly irritated and inconvenienced by the need to make allowances for the free agency of others. In our impatience, which is not the same thing as divine discontent, we would override others, even though it is obvious that our individual differences and preferences are so irretrievably enmeshed with each other that the only resolution which preserves free agency is for us to be patient and long-suffering with each other."
____________
"Patience h
elps us to use, rather than protest, these seeming flat periods of life, becoming filled with quiet wonder over the past and with anticipation for that which may lie ahead, instead of demeaning the particular flatness through which we may be passing at the time.
"We should savor even the seemingly ordinary times, for life
cannot be made up of all kettledrums and crashing cymbals. There must be some flutes and violins. Living cannot be all crescendo; there must be some counterpoint.



Loved this post and all the quotes. I especially relate to the "flatness" quote right now. How I miss this man - esp. at conference. Did you know that Dad (Gramps to you) went to the same mission as he did and he and his wife attended all of their reunions up until his death? I believe he was an AP. Gramps can tell you more...
ReplyDelete