Monday, September 27, 2010

The First Cookies

You must know that this is a much larger feat than you'd think!!


1. Our apartment doesn't come with appliances. This oven started at Nico's house (found it in the classifieds)

2. There are 2 different types of outlets for ovens. Our apartment had the "other" type

3. Going to the hardware store takes 1.5-2 hrs round trip with public transportation. I can't speak French well enough, and there aren't many people there who speak much English. That's always entertaining. The people laugh [kindly] at my efforts and are very helpful.

4. I bought a 16 amp instead of a 32 amp plug. They look the same, but have some different spacing. I thought I was smart by taking a photo of the outlet with me for comparison....didn't take measurements. You only make the same mistake once.

5. Made the 2 hr [round] trip again to exchange it...but the hardware store doesn't carry the plugs that large. The guy tells me (in French) that I'll have to find a 'specialty' store. Uh oh.

6. Tender Mercy: Randomly found a specialty store on our street! Curt noticed it because they sell washers and we are trying to decide whether to buy one or not. I went there today and it was worth the gamble asking if they knew a place that sold what I wanted. They had it!!! Did this all in French :)

7. Bought the plug, inserted wires (learned at the original hardware store that the yellow/green are ground and the brown live. Glad I spoke with them when I was there to buy the wrong plug).

8. Plugged in the oven and: VOILA!

(sort of voila.....

9. Using a transformer to use the Bosch mixer [because I LOVE it]

10. The oven doesn't have temperature settings--guess you're just supposed to know?

11. The oven has another knob that controls which elements are heated [so far I have discovered one notch is light only...and I know one is top only, one is bottom only, and one is both. What are the other 2 notches for?]

12. Okay, now is the voila)

Cookies :)

Finished products:

The oven---WORKING!

The helpful knobs...

Yay for transformer! We are using it for several household items as opposed to re-purchasing them.

Plugs into the wall!

Lest we forget the before: wires and socket.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have read this post before, but seriously, how did Curt get such a smart wife?

    ReplyDelete