Sunday, December 12, 2010

Zermatt, Switzerland

November 26-28
For our Thanksgiving celebration (sort of) we were very fortunate to spend a weekend in Zermatt. We were invited by Curt's co-worker and shared a great condo with 2 other couples. It was a great weekend with skiing, fondue and fun. To make the trip sweeter--it was opening weekend for the ski resort. We were surprised how good the snow was so early in the city.
This is a view from the condo balcony. The famous Matterhorn (thank you, Disney), is generally visible in Zermatt; however, during the winter months it is often cloud covered--and it was. We'll just have to go back so we can see it!
Here we are on a lift. I LOVED the lifts here. There were trams, gondolas and lifts with windshields. I felt so spoiled. It was much nicer than freezing our way up and down the mountain.. It was frigid there (probably -20 degrees C, which is below 0 degrees F).
Do we look like we are freezing??

A little about Zermatt: It is a car free city. You have to take a train in (which means you carry anything you are planning on bringing). There are little electric 'cabs' and buses there...but other than that, you walk. I think that was some of the cleanest air I've breathed in quite some time.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are looking more and more european as the blog posts roll out. Curtis, your snowboarding gear looks sweet homes. I love the goggles, coat and bindings. The Dope Show! Allison, that beanie sure looks familiar!

    ReplyDelete